What is Fibromyalgia?Fibromyalgia is a chronic neurologic health condition that causes widespread pain and extreme fatigue throughout the body. Fibromyalgia can be confused with arthritis, or joint inflammation as it has similar symptoms. However, Fibromyalgia does not cause inflammation or long-term damage to the joints or the painful areas. This means Fibromyalgia mainly causes soft tissue pain or myofascial pain which myotherapists can treat and manage.
CauseThe exact cause of Fibromyalgia is still unknown but some risk factors include:
- Inflammatory arthritis (for example, rheumatoid arthritis)
- Overactive pain system
- Other autoimmune disorders, e.g. lupus An illness, such as a virus (or following an illness or infection)
- Pain from an injury or trauma
- Trouble sleeping
- Trouble focusing
- Pain or a dull ache in the lower belly
- Dry eyes
- Muscle pain, burning, twitching, or tightness
- Low pain threshold or tender points
- Feeling nervous, worried, or depressed More research needs to be done to better understand Fibromyalgia. However, what we do know is Fibromyalgia can affect one’s quality of life in so many ways and that’s why it is so important to make sure you seek help. We can help manage your Fibromyalgia pain through hands-on treatment and lifestyle changes that we will recommend you do. Managing Fibromyalgia is a team effort and you don’t have to suffer alone.
Come and see us at the clinic